Indo chinese cuisine has been my family favorite. Crispy chicken chinese brings back to me a lot of my childhood memories. I have been a fan of this dish and chicken chilli since my childhood days. I remember ordering spicy manchow soup and crispy chicken to start of with every time we went for dinner at the Chinese food truck. It used to be a fortnightly dinner for us at the food trucks in the open air at the Arabian Sea side.
Over the years, came up a lot of Indo Chinese and Chinese recipes on the menu at various restaurants and each one had its own unique taste. My favorites have been this one and chicken wings. If you are fan of chicken wings, try my recipe.
Table of Contents
What is Crispy Chicken Chilli?
It is an Indo-Chinese dish served as a starter or an appetizer mainly prepared with boneless chicken. It can be prepared dry or with some gravy. I personally enjoy is dry and that way you get the crisp in every bite.
What makes the Chicken Chilli crispy?
Corn flour is the main ingredient that makes the chicken nice and crispy when fried. Some prefer adding egg to make the mixture sticky but I personally do not prefer adding egg. Since this recipe has required amount soy sauce for the coating, that helps coat the flour to the chicken slices.
Can I deep fry the chicken slices?
Yes, you can deep fry the coated chicken slices, if you are short in time or preparing a bigger batch. But if using the below quantities, pan frying should be perfectly fine.
Combining crispy chicken and chicken chilli, I have created recipe for crispy chicken chilli which is super easy and is a perfect to be served with some fried rice or noodles. Let’s get cooking!!
Crispy Chicken in Honey Soy Sauce Recipe
For chicken coating
- 500 gms chicken breast
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chinese five spice mix
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- Salt per taste
- 3 tsp corn flour
- 5 tsp oil
For the sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp corn flour
- Lemon juice from half a lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 chopped spring onions
- 5 cloves of garlic finely chopped or minced
- 1 tsp five spice mix
- 1 chopped red chilli for garnish
- Toasted sesame for garnish
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Thoroughly wash and thinly slice chicken breast atleast 3 inch long.
- Put it in a mixing bowl and add all above ingredients listed for chicken coating except for oil.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients for the sauce and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan, fry the coated chicken slices for 2-3 minutes. Turn and cook the other side. Cook each side for around 3-4 minutes till chicken turns crispy and golden. This should not take more than 6-7 minutes in all.
- Once done, remove crispy fried chicken in a plate.
- In the same non stick pan, add a tbsp of sesame oil.
- When the oil is hot, add spring onions and garlic. Saute this for 2 minutes or till garlic is fragrant.
- Now add the fried chicken slices. Mix the prepared sauce and pour it in.
- Mix everything together till the chicken is coated well and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Once done, remove in a plate and garnish with chopped red chillies and toasted sesame.
- Enjoy as it is or serve with some delicious noodles or fried rice.
Tip: Sesame oil is a key ingredient for Asian food that is made of roasted sesame seeds. It has a wonderful nutty flavor and I always use it for stir fry’s and Indo-Chinese food.
If you like this recipe, please do share and leave a comment to let me if you’ve liked my recipe:
Crispy Chicken in Honey Soy Sauce Video
If you’ve liked this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to like the recipe and leave me a comment in the comments section below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more delicious food.
To SAVE my Recipes for later FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST
Latest from the Blog
While I write this recipe I would also like to mention Gina Rae Mitchell‘s blog I came across. She has some wonderful write up about books, food and craft. Don’t miss out on her Friday Finds!!