What are Enchiladas?
Enchiladas is a delicious Mexican Dish where corn tortillas are stuffed and rolled with a filling and topped with savoury, spicy or sweet sauce with loads of cheese and baked till done. These days there are many variations of this dish and can be prepared with seasonings and flavors per one’s choice.
Enchiladas has been my all time favourite and this was the first dish I ever tried my hands on for baking, when I was I believe eleven or twelve years, but I was in school then is what I know for sure.. I remember having this dish over a family dinner at a restaurant and mom and me instantly knew what we needed to do next. She knew and understood my love for cooking and baking and thus we thought of trying this dish at home one weekend. With all our imagination and creativity, Mum and I baked this delicious dish loaded with cheese and mushrooms and we all enjoyed it to the core.
Amul, a very popular Indian Dairy Brand, is where I was scheduled to do a live cooking session and I already knew what I’m going to make – Cheesy Enchiladas it was!! But like always, I wanted to make the live session an exciting one and wanted to give a twist to this dish. So, just a few hours before my live, I thought why not serve the filling of Enchiladas in a crispy cup, and there it was, a wonderful creation from my kitchen Cheesy Enchilada Cups!! Seeing all the wonderful comments and all the appreciation from all my viewers just made my day so beautiful. Not to forget, my husband, Rohan who helped me through out to make this live a successful one!!! These Enchilada cups make an amazing party starter and the kids will love this for sure.
Preparing Enchiladas from scratch has some steps you need to follow, right from preparing the tortillas, the filling to the sauce. Corn Tortillas is what is used for Enchiladas, however one can also choose to use All Purpose Flour to make flour tortillas. Of course you can always go for the ready made one’s too. The filling for the tortillas varies from beans, corns veggies to minced or shredded chicken topped with a sweet, spicy or a savoury enchilada sauce of choice with loads of cheese added to it and baked till cheese melts. Here I am, penning down my recipe for Cheesy Enchilada Cups with my version of the Enchilada Sauce for all you wonderful people.
Tried my recipe? Do tag me and follow me on Instagram & Facebook
Ingredients for the Flour:
- 1 1/2 cup maida / all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Water for kneading
Knead a soft dough with all above ingredients and cover and set it aside for ten to fifteen minutes.
Ingredients for the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup maida/all purpose flour
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp barbecue seasoning
- 1 tsp celery salt seasoning
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 tbsp tomato pulp with tomato pieces
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup sugar or as desired per sweetness
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt per taste
Ingredients for the Filling:
- 1 cup paneer cut in small cubes
- 1/2 cup soaked and boiled red beans
- 1/2 cup boiled corn
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley or coriander
- Salt per taste
- Cheese slices
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Dry Basil for garnish
For flour tortilla discs:
- Roll out the dough into disc sized tortillas, prick with a fork and cook on a pan till both sides are done.
- Once done, place tortillas in a muffin tray and bake at 180 degrees till crisp or edges are brown.
For the sauce:
- In a pan, heat oil and add butter. To this add minced garlic and fry for few seconds.
- Now add flour and all the above listed seasonings to this ans fry for few more seconds. Stir continuously to avoid lumps.
- Add mushrooms and cook for a minute or so.
- Add tomato puree, pulp and sugar. Give it a good mix.
- Add vegetable sock half cup at a time.
- Allow it to boil on a slow flame.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix all ingredients for the filling and salt per taste, mix and set aside.
- Add some sauce to the filling and mix till everything combines well.
- Place the baked cups in the muffin tray and add small pieces of cheese slice at the base.
- Now add the filling to this.
- Add mozzarella cheese and sprinkle some dry basil
- Bake again at 180 degree for five minutes or less or just till cheese melts.
- Cheesy Enchilada Cups are ready. Serve hot and enjoy!!!
- You can use red beans/black beans/rajma which ever is available.
- You can prepare tortillas with wheat flour or corn meal or equal portions of flours.
- I would not recommend using left over chapatis/rotis and they make break while putting it to the mould.
- You may want to use left over chapatis for my Cheesy Enchilada recipe (updating soon)
Also try Mexican Enchiladas
If you’ve liked this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to like the recipe and leave me a comment in the comments section below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more delicious food.
To SAVE my Recipes for later FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST