Table of Contents
What is Chana Masala?
Chana Masala also called as Kaale Chane is a very popular North Indian Punjabi dish. It is one of the most relished dishes across Punjabi homes. In some places of North India, it is served with hot Kulchas, pickle and green chillis and it’s enjoyed as a street food. Kaale chane and poori used to be prepared at home as an offering for last day of Navratri served with some seera.
How are Punjabi Kaale Chane prepared?
Punjabi Kaale Chane can be prepared dry known as sookhe chane or with some gravy. Sookhe Chane is mostly served with pooris and with curry it’s served with jeera rice or steamed rice. At my home we prepare both ways as the curry is mostly prepared for the rice lovers at home. When some of it is left over, we eat it for breakfast the next morning as chana toast sandwich with lots of butter.
This preparation on Kale Chane is with a base of onion and tomato paste with some spices making it flavorful, spicy and tangy. The left over water from the boiled chana is what I enjoy as chana soup or use for chana gravy. Anytime you need to add some water to the tadka, one can use this water. I have also added some boiled potatoes to this, if you wish you can skip it. I am sure you and your family is going to love this dish as much as we do.
Chana Masala | Punjabi Kaale Chane Recipe
Ingredients for boiling chana
- 2 cups kaale chane (soaked over night)
- 1 tsp chana masala
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- Salt as desired
- Water for boiling ( I take two times the quantity of soaked chana)
Ingredients for Tadka
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 cup very finely chopped onions
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic chilli paste
- 1/2 tsp haldi/turmeric
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp dhaniya powder/coriander powder
- 1 tbsp chana masala
- 2 tsp chaat masala/aamchur powder or lime juice
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 boiled potato cut into small pieces (optional)
- 1 tbsp ghee or oil
- Salt as desired
- Pressure cook soaked chana adding all ingredients mentioned above for 4 – 5 whistles or little they turn soft. Separate the chana from the water. Do not throw the water as you can use to for chana curry or have it as chana soup.
- Heat ghee in a kadhai, add jeera and let it splutter.
- Add chopped onions and saute till golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and all the seasonings and give it a mix. Add some water if it gets too dry.
- Now add tomato puree and cook till ghee separates.
- Add the tadka to the boiled chana add mix well.
- Add pieces of boiled potatoes and cover and cook on low flame till it gets nice and dry or semi gravy.
- Kaale Chane | Chana Masala is now ready!! Garnish with coriander and serve with hot pooris or kulchas
If you’ve liked this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to like the recipe and leave me a comment in the comments section below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more delicious food.
To SAVE my Recipes for later FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST
Subscribe for more posts like this