Table of Contents
What are Yam Chips or Suran Chips?
Suran, also known as Yam, Tuber or Elephant Yam is a very popular and versatile root vegetable that can be used to prepare curry, starters or as a side dish. They can be baked, boiled or even mashed to be used in recipes.
I was yearning for chips and since I had just a couple of potatoes left, I didn’t want to use them up. So I decided to use Yam instead!!! Chips are one snack we all love to munch on right from kiddies to adults specially potato chips. What could be better than Yam chips or Suran Chips a perfect substitute for potato chips with added flavors that make a delicious snack. One can say its a re-creation of potato chips!!! Just as crisp and delicious.
Handling yam can get tricky so if you plan on preparing any dish using yam, either put on your gloves or simply apply some oil to your palms.
A mix of few seasonings, frying it and these chips were a super hit at my place and what makes these crispy is the process of re frying it or double frying it which adds an extra crush to it. Once you start, I’m sure you can’t stop munching on it….
Yam Chips | Suran Chips Recipe
- 1 bowl full of thinly sliced yam or suran
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika or cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp maida
- Salt per taste
- Oil to fry Or Bake at 180 degrees
- Soak sliced yam pieces in water for 15 – 20 minutes and pat them dry.
- In a bowl mix all above seasonings and flour.
- Sprinkle this mixture on the yam slices and mix well such that it coats it properly.
- Heat oil in a pan and meanwhile let the yam pieces absorb all flavors of the seasonings.
- Now one at a time add to the oil and fry the first batch till looks cooked.
- Remove in a bowl or plate and fry the second batch same way.
- Now for double frying, again add the first batch to hot oil and fry till nice and crisp. This process of double frying makes the chips crispier!!
- Suran Chips are ready!! Eat fresh or store in a container (that won’t happen because it’ll get over the minute its out)
- I have fried these chips, if you wish you could also add around a tbsp of olive oil and bake them at 180 degrees till done.
- I have sliced these using a slicer, you could also cut them like french fries.
If you’ve liked this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to like the recipe and leave me a comment in the comments section below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more delicious food.
To SAVE my Recipes for later FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST
Subscribe for more posts like this