Table of Contents
Is Prawns pulao recipe worth trying?
Prawns Pulao is the most loved dish at home. Everyone in our family loves prawn dishes, right from masala fried, prawn curry, tempura to biryani or a pulao. Prawns Pulao or Shrimp Pulao is our weekend recipe however you can also prepare this as a weekday meal if you have some marinated prawns stocked up in the freezer.
Ideally, Prawns Pulao is a convenient one pot dish where prawns and rice is cooked together but for this recipe I have used some left over rice from previous night. You can use any size prawns of your choice. I have used medium sized prawns as I personally enjoy the taste of it, however if you like you could also use the bigger or jumbo prawns which go perfectly well. When my mom prepares this dish, she uses mixed medium prawns for us and the jumbo prawns for her. She also says, adding the head of prawns to any sea food dish adds more flavor to it.
I anytime prefer and love the taste of fresh prawns but if you don’t have fresh one’s you can use the frozen one’s too. Thaw them, marinate if you prefer and use it for the pulao. Marinating prawns is an important step for me as it adds on to a wonderful flavor. If you’re using something acidic like lemon juice, marinate and rest it for 30 minutes. Without any acidic ingredient, you can also marinate it longer in the refrigerator or freeze it for late use.
This Prawns Pulao is so easy to make and delicious to eat, as it is full of aromatic flavors as the rice soaks all the delicious juices and flavors from the prawns. My mouth is already watering while I write this and honestly I can get back and cook this pulao again for dinner. So, getting to the recipe, let’s get started so you can also make this and enjoy your family meal. If you love Prawns as much as I do, try this recipe and I’m sure you will love it.
Prawns Pulao Recipe
Ingredients for Pulao
- 2 cups boiled or left over rice
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp fish masala
- 1 tbsp ghee / oil for cooking
- Salt per taste
- Chopped coriander
For marinating prawns
- 1 cup clean deveined prawns. You can use any size. I’ve used medium size prawns
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Marinate the prawns with all above ingredients and set it aside for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan and fry onions till it just starts to turn brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and all seasonings and fry till the oil leaves the sides. Add little water if needed to avoid the masala from burning.
- Add tomatoes and cook till its soft.
- Now, add the marinated prawns and cook for 5 – 7 minutes or till the prawns start to curl up.
- Add in the boiled rice / left over rice and coriander and mix everything well together.
- Cover and cook on low flame for another 5 minutes.
- Your delicious Prawns Pulao is ready!! Serve hot and Enjoy!!
If you’ve liked this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to like the recipe and leave me a comment in the comments section below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more delicious food.
To SAVE my Recipes for later FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST
Share this recipe: