Papdi also known as papri, are crisp flat puris used in Indian Chaats. I didn’t know making papdi / papri’s is so easy with just basic ingredients at home. These are a versatile snack that can be eaten with popular Indian street foods like Sev Puri, Bhel Puri and it even tastes good as is.
Table of Contents
Recipe for Papdi / Papri
- 1 1/2 cup maida/all purpose flour
- 1 cup fine rava / semolina
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee
- water for kneading (for me it took little more than half cup)
- oil for frying
- In a bowl, mix maida rava salt and ghee and rub gently forming crumbs till you can hold the mixture together. Rubbing ghee properly is very important as it makes the puris more flaky and crispy.
- Knead a medium stiff dough adding water little at a time. The dough should not be too stiff or too soft. You can add few drops of oil once kneaded.
- Once done roll it round and very thin and cut rounds using a cookie cutter or a bottle cover.
- Prick all the puri’s using a fork to avoid bubbles or puffing.
- Heat oil and deep fry them few at time till golden brown.
- Allow them to cool and store in an air tight container.
Puris are now ready and you can use them for making sev puri, bhel, papdi chaat or any kind of Indian chaat.
Papdi / Papri Recipe Video
Frequently Asked Questions
What is papdi or papri for sev puri?
Papdis or papri are crisp flat puris used in Indian Chaats. Its a versatile snack that can be eaten for Sev Puri, Bhel Puri and it even tastes good as is. One can also say papdi are crisp and flaky Indian crackers.
What is papdi made of?
Papdi are made of flour and or semolina dough which are rolled into small roundels and deep fried.