Why Orange Cake?
Orange Cakes have been trending ever since and has always been on my list and so, I decided to bake a Cake in an Orange Shell! This cake is a soft, moist Instant Eggless Orange Cake with fresh flavor of Orange. I personally never liked to eat oranges as is, but I love the flavor of oranges in cakes and desserts. You may also want to try my recipe for Orange and Lotus Parfait which is another instant dessert from my kitchen which was a super hit at my Amul Live Cooking.
Being inspired by Mug Cakes that are so quick and perfect for your sweet cravings, I decided to make one for myself. All you need is some oranges and few ingredients that are easily available at home. The best part it that you don’t need to bake them, just microwave them for two minutes and your all set. Also, this is a perfect Tri Colour Recipe I could think of for preparing for Independence Day Theme.
How do you make a Cake in an Orange Shell? Well, Just take some nice fresh oranges, wash them, slice the tops of your oranges and scoop out the pulp. We do not use the pulp in this recipe, however to add some flavor we add two spoons of orange juice to it. You can juice up the pulp and drink it or use it for another recipe.
You will also find my step wise you video to prepare Instant Orange Cake | Tri colour Orange Cake | Cake in Orange Shell towards the end of this post.
Ingredients: (makes 3)
- 3 oranges
- 3 tbsp melted or softened butter ( i have used salted butter)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4th cup + 1 tbsp milk
- 3/4th cup all purpose flour/maida
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- 1/4th tsp baking powder
- 1/8th tsp or pinch of baking soda
- Mint leaves and pistachios for garnish
- Slice all oranges from the top and scoop out all the pulp. Keep two to three tbsp of juice aside. Do not throw the remaining juice and pulp. Juice it up or use it for another recipe.
- For the cake: Whisk together butter and sugar, add half of the milk and whisk till well combined.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and add it to the wet ingredients.
- Add orange juice and remaining milk and make a smooth lump free batter.
- Fill half of the orange shells with the cake batter. Do not fill it too much as the cake will rise and may pour out of the shells.
- Microwave one orange shell at a time for 2 minutes checking every 45 seconds till done. If you feel its still not done, feel free to spin it for another minute or so.
- Remove carefully as Orange could be hot. Allow it to cool for few minutes.
- Your Instant Orange Cake is now ready. Garnish, serve and enjoy!!!
- While filling the orange shells, you can also add some choco chips to make chocolate orange cake.
- As we have used orange juice and making this in an orange shell, I have not used vanilla essence, if you wish you could add a drop or vanilla or orange essence.
- You can also cut the oranges in two equal halves or just slice the top as shown in the video.
If you like my recipe, do share: