Chicken Curry, also popularly known as the Sunday Chicken Curry is a hearty and comforting meal where family gathers together to enjoy a relaxing weekend favorite. One such meal within Indian homes is a classic Chicken Curry, cooked in a spicy, aromatic sauce made with a blend of onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, Indian spices such as turmeric, and red chili powder.
Table of Contents
Chicken Curry Recipe
Cooking Level: Beginner/ Easy
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time in pot: 1.5 hours
Serves: 5 to 6
Note: The below nutritional information is an estimate and may vary depending on the specific ingredients used.
|380 kcal||21 g||480 mg||12 g||3 g||5 g||35 g|
- 1 kg fresh cut chicken, cut into medium sized pieces
- 4 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 whole red chilies deseeded or green chilies
- 4 tomatoes, pureed
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 3 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken masala
- 2 large par boiled potatoes cut in four halves
- Salt, to taste
- 4 + 3 tablespoons oil
- Water, as needed
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves, for garnish
- In a large pan, heat 4 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, ginger and chilies. Fry until onions start to turn golden brown.
- Allow it to cool. Once cooled, blend well into a smooth paste. Add little water if required for grinding.
- In the same pan, heat 3 tablespoon of oil over medium heat.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, and fry for 1-2 minutes until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pot, and let it cook for 10-12 minutes. When the pink meat start turning white, it means the chicken is starting to cook.
- Add the onion paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, chicken masala and salt. Mix well, and cook for 5-7 minutes until the masala is well combined and the oil starts to separate.
- Add tomato puree, half at a time, mix well and cook for another 10 minutes till oil separates. This process is called to bhuno (explained at the end of the recipe).
- Cover the pan and continue to fry the chicken in this masala for a good 30 minutes stirring every 5-7 minutes. You can add little water if you find it getting dry.
- Add par boiled potatoes, water just enough to cover the chicken pieces, cook and simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Once the chicken is cooked, adjust the salt and spice levels as needed, and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
- Enjoy your delicious Chicken Curry with naan bread or rice!!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is chicken curry served with?
You can serve Chicken Curry with my recipe for Roghni Naan
This is my recipe of a perfect chicken and potato curry that can be relished with tandoori roti, pao, naan bread or even simple basmati jeera rice.
What is Bhuno in Indian cooking?
“Bhuno” is an essential step in Indian cooking which it basically means to cook or saute something properly with onions, and spices. It is one of the best ways to get the aromatic spices lend their flavour in meat dishes and cook in it’s own juices.
What is the secret to a good chicken curry?
Fresh cut chicken, is the secret to my chicken curry. To enjoy a perfect and delicious curry, it is important to use fresh cut chicken and freshly made ginger garlic paste. I assure you it will make the best chicken curry recipe. Wash and clean the chicken well. When preparing this dish, saute the chicken for a good 30 – 35 minutes with onions and spices and let the chicken release and cook in it’s own juices.
Do you cook chicken before adding to curry?
Yes, typically chicken is cooked before adding it to the curry. This ensures that the chicken is cooked through and tender. There are different methods to cook the chicken before adding it to the chicken curry, such as pan-frying, grilling, or sauteing. It is important to follow the specific instructions of the recipe you are using to ensure that the chicken is cooked properly. Cooking chicken before adding it to the curry is a great way to build layers of flavor into your curry. You can call this a one pot chicken curry where chicken is seared and cooked to perfection with onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, spices.
Share this recipe:
If you’ve liked this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to like the recipe and leave me a comment in the comments section below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more delicious food.
To SAVE my Recipes for later FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST
Subscribe for more posts like this