What are Enchiladas?
Enchiladas is a delicious Mexican Dish where corn tortillas are stuffed and rolled with a filling and topped with savory, spicy or sweet sauce of choice. These days there are many variations of this dish and can be prepared with seasonings and flavors per one’s choice.
Enchiladas has been my all time favourite and brings back all my childhood memories as this was the first dish I ever tried my hands on for baking when I was I believe eleven of twelve years, but I was in school then is what I know for sure. Enchiladas was one of the dish we had ordered over a family dinner at a restaurant. Every Bite was filled with the amazing sauce and lots of cheese. Mom and I instantly knew what we needed to do next. She knew and understood my love for cooking and baking and thus we thought of trying this dish at home one weekend. With all our imagination and creativity, Mum and I baked this delicious dish loaded with cheese and mushrooms and we all enjoyed it to the core.
What is the secret to good Mexican Enchiladas?
Mexican Enchiladas is a complete meal in itself where the tortillas are stuffed with beans, corns or veggies of choice topped with Enchilada Sauce. Chicken lovers can feel free to use minced or shredded chicken as a filling. You can use home made Tortillas made of corn or maize flour or all purpose flour. I prefer home made one’s using all purpose flour. I have always had my version of the Enchilada Sauce which is a perfect balance of sweet and spicy. You can also prepare this sauce and freeze it for around 2 weeks and even use it for pastas and spaghetti.
Getting innovative with Enchiladas, I also have a wonderful recipe for Cheesy Enchilada Cups. You can check my recipe for this amazing sauce in the same post of Cheesy Enchilada Cups
Here I am, penning down my recipe for Mexican Enchiladas with my version of the Enchilada Sauce.
Ingredients for the Flour:
- 1 1/2 cup maida / all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Water for kneading
Knead a soft dough with all above ingredients and cover and set it aside for ten to fifteen minutes.
Find the recipe for my version of the Enchilada Sauce
Ingredients for the Filling:
- 1 cup paneer cut in small cubes
- 1/2 cup soaked and boiled red beans
- 1/2 cup boiled corns
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley or coriander
- 4 – 5 cheese slices or 1 cup grated cheese
- Salt per taste
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients for the filling and salt per taste, mix and set aside.
- Add some sauce to the filling and mix till everything combines well.
- Cheese slices
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Dry Basil or fresh parsley for garnish
For flour tortilla discs:
- Once the dough is ready, pinch out small portions and roll it in shape and size of a chapati or tortilla. Similarly prepare all.
- Heat a pan and cook on a till both sides are done similar to a chapati.
- Set all prepared Tortillas aside.
Pre – heat your oven at 200 degrees C for 15 minutes.
- In a baking dish, pour 3 – 4 spoons of the sauce and spread it evenly.
- Add a spoonful of the filling and some cheese to the tortillas and roll it. Prepare all and place it over the sauce.
- Now pour the sauce over the tortillas such that all tortillas are covered well.
- Now add the remailing filling on top.
- Place the cheese slices and grated mozzarella cheese and sprinkle some dry basil.
- Bake at 200 degrees C for ten minutes or less or just till cheese melts.
- If you want to brown your cheese, put the baking dish on the top rack with the grill mode on and bake for another five minutes. Keep a check on your oven as all ovens function differently.
- Delicious Mexican Enchiladas is ready!!
- Remove and serve hot to enjoy!!
If you’ve liked this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to like the recipe and leave me a comment in the comments section below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more delicious food.
To SAVE my Recipes for later FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST